Syria Ceasefire Collapse, Aleppo Bombardment Resumes, Aid Trucks Struck

تم نشره في Mon 19 September / Sep 2016. 12:00 AM
  • A damaged highway is pictured in the rebel-held al-Shaar neighbourhood of Aleppo, Syria, September 17, 2016. Picture taken September 17, 2016. - (REUTERS)

BEIRUT — Syria's military on Monday declared the 7-day initial period for a ceasefire brokered by the United States and Russia over, without indicating whether the truce would be reinstated. As bombardment in Aleppo rebel-held areas resumed air raids hit aid trucks near the city of Aleppo on Monday, a monitoring group reported.

 

The Syrian Army said in a statement that "terrorist groups", a term the Syrian government uses to refer to all insurgents fighting against it, had failed to commit to any of the provisions of the deal, and had used the ceasefire to rearm whilst violating it 300 times.

The air raids were carried out by either Syrian or Russian aircraft, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said, adding that there had been 35 strikes in and around Aleppo since the truce ended.

The United Nations and Red Cross said they were investigating the reports.

(Reuters)

Comment