Alleged Palestinian Attacker Shot Dead by Occupation Soldiers

تم نشره في Mon 10 July / Jul 2017. 12:00 AM
  • The Palestinian Martyr Mohammad Jibril - (Agencies)
  • Israeli occupation forces at the site of the incident - (Agencies)
  • Israeli occupation forces and emergency personnel at the site of the incident - (Agencies)

BETHLEHEM — A Palestinian was shot dead by Israeli occupation soldiers after allegedly attempting a vehicular attack on Israeli soldiers, lightly injuring one, at a junction near the village of Tuqu and the illegal Israeli settlement Maale Amos in the southern occupied West Bank district of Bethlehem.

An Israeli army spokesperson claimed that the alleged assailant rammed his car at Israeli forces stationed at the junction, leaving one Israeli soldier lightly wounded.

The driver then allegedly exited his vehicle armed with a knife and attempted to stab the soldier, when another soldier fatally shot the Palestinian.

Israel's emergency medical service Magen David Adom said it evacuated the 20-year-old Israeli soldier in a moderate condition to Israel's Shaare Zedek hospital in Jerusalem for treatment, while the Palestinian driver was "neutralized" and treated by the Israeli army at the scene before being declared dead.

An eyewitness told Maan that he saw the Palestinian, who was wearing a red shirt, lying motionless on the ground, and claimed that he saw two wounded Israeli soldiers — one suffering from a serious injury and unable to move, and another with a minor injury.

However, the Israeli army spokesperson said just one soldier had been wounded.

Another witness said that an Israeli ambulance later evacuated the body, after Israeli forces preventing Palestinian Red Crescent ambulances from approaching the scene.

Locals sources in Tuqu identified the slain man to Maan as 24-year-old Muhammad Ibrahim Jibril, from Tuqu. Palestinian security sources had said he was 25, while other local media outlets said he was 23.

According to Maan documentation, Jibril became the 37th Palestinian to be killed by an Israeli in 2017.

Eight Israelis have been killed by Palestinians during the same time frame.

Israeli forces shot and killed a Palestinian near the Qalandiya military crossing last month with the Israeli army claiming he attempted to carry out a stabbing attack on Israeli soldiers.

Since then, another young man was shot dead during an overnight military raid in Hebron, and an 18-month-old baby died two months after suffering from tear gas inhalation fired by Israeli forces during clashes in the village of Abud.

Israeli forces have been routinely criticized for their excessive use of force and for what rights groups have termed a "shoot-to-kill" policy against Palestinians who did not constitute a threat at the time of their death, or who could have been subdued in a non-lethal manner — amid a backdrop of impunity for Israelis who committed the killings.